Sunday 23 January 2011

Minus one or plus one?


I've blogged before that it doesn't necessarily take two to tango. Well, I guess it does, solo tango woud be an interesting spectacle but probably not that, well, spectacular! But what I mean is that you don't have to be part of a fixed couple to do it. Early last year I discovered that there were classes in Argentine tango locally and, having challenged myself to take more risks and pick more daisies, I decided to go along to the class by myself.

I'm so glad I did. What I found is that I love tango. It's a dance form that it is dramatic, passionate, spontaneous yet disciplined, and above all deeply addictive. I've also found that it's a very social and sociable dance scene. Yes, it's couple based - it does take two to dance the tango. It's a lead dance and for that you need a leader and a follower - ie 2 people. But it's also a scene where everyone dances with everyone else. And, at least in our exclusive circle, everyone looks out for each other.

So, I've got a lot of pleasure from learning and dancing tango - and also from learning to let go and to follow someone else's lead. I've also got a new groups of friends. It does help that I managed to persuade a male acquaintance to come and learn too, and that he has become my dance partner - when he remembers to turn up that is! I suspect it also helps that we're not bad at the dancing either - even if we do say so ourselves.



But at the same time, it can be hard - and it has on occasions prompted some blue moments for me. I've also blogged before about how sometimes it feels like the world is made for two, for couples and that this is the normal way of things, that anyone on their own is somehow abnormal. Heading off to a tango class and not knowing if you'll have anyone to dance with can be like that and can make it hard to look forward to what should be a fun afternoon. Most of the time I can get over that feeling and turn up, have fun and be glad I went. Other times it's just too hard and I give in to the demons. But I'm getting better. Last weekend I felt like that but I still went. Last night's milonga carried the risk too, but again, I went. I was so proud of myself for doing it, and even better, I had a fabulous time - both the dancing and the company.

The theme for yesterday's 30 Day Challenge photo was 'Something that has had a big impact on you recently'. Needless to say, for me it was separating from my (now) ex-husband and striking out on my own. As I said there, fortunately, while it's still hard - by a huge margin now the good days outnumber the bad ones. Long may it continue. And long may I continue to enjoy my tango.

Watch this space in mid February for blog posts from Scotland's first International Tango Festival, happening right here in Stirling and which I'm going to book my tickets and workshops for today!

Posted to The 52 Week Project on Flickr

No comments: