Tuesday 15 February 2011

Finding peace


After a busy, intense day at work, how best to relax, recover and find peace? Quite often I'll take the easy way out and collapse on the sofa with a glass of wine and something mindless to watch on the TV*.

But every now and then I'm inspired to try something different, and remind myself that being active in itself can be a relaxation. I've blogged many times before about how much I enjoy cooking, that I actually find it relaxing. So sometimes, like tonight, I turn to cooking as a way of unwinding.

I'll not lie, it's also a way of using up what's left in the fridge instead of having to throw it out. And of having food in the freezer for days when I don't have the energy or the time to make something from fresh.

Tonight's creation was a vegetable and bean chilli - using up the fresh vegetables that I'd bought in a fit of optimism the weekend before last and were in danger of lurking and leaking if left too much longer in the depths of the chill box. I didn't actually eat it tonight, I heated up a pork and cider slow cooked casserole from the freezer instead. So now, I've relaxed, eaten and still have a meal in store for tomorrow night too!

What's not to be happy about?


*As regular Crafty Manoeuvres readers will know, I rarely actually just sit doing nothing. So collapsing on the sofa with a glass of wine usually also involves some kind of yarn project. Another one finished last night - what do you think? I think I have almost enough of these hats now for a different one each day of the week! 

3 comments:

Just Frances said...

You almost had me convinced that a home-cooked meal would find it's way to my belly this evening. But then I decided Chinese take-away would be easier.

It's been a while since I've made a chili though, so maybe that will be part of my weekend.

(And LOVE those hats. You'll have to teach me if you have the patience!)

pomomama said...

funny - i still find a good baking session really rewarding (and having a stash in the freezer makes it even better)

love the hat! ;)

Bex said...

Even back as a student I found cooking relaxing. I well remember Marion, a former flatmate, and I having midnight lemon curd making sessions.

Although, come to think of it, we were meant to be studying at the time so it was probably avoidance rather than relaxation.

and the housework in that flat, well that's a whole different story for another day!!