Sunday 1 May 2011

33 1/3


No, not the speed that an LP went round on a turntable - although clearly it was - but to recognise that somehow unbelievably we are already one third of the way through this year. How did that happen?! Yup, it's May already - spring is well underway, the winter's cold seems like a distant memory and before long it will be summer, recess, holidays, long days, light evenings. And then autumn, winter and more snow.

So, a third of the year in, how are my goals for 2011 going? Hmm, bit of a mixed bag really.

I still don't really know what I want to be when I grow up. Hell, I'm not even sure I really want to be grown up. Work continues to trundle on. There's actually some interesting stuff going on and in prospect - if only I could convince myself it really is interesting, it would be a step in the right direction. So far, my assessment of adult life is that it's pretty sucky - ok, you have the freedom to do what you want (kind of) but you also have to pay the consequences of that. And not just being grounded either!! And responsibility, whose crazy idea was that??

Seriously, I still haven't worked out whether the job I have is the one I want. And my attempts to settle into something/somewhere more permanent haven't come to much. Of course, it might help if I spent some time actually thinking about my job rather than just hurtling on from one week to the next. And if I'd viewed more than just one property, that might also help with the finding somewhere new to live challenge too.

On the plus side, I'm keeping up with my fitness regime - the challenge of a marathon in October is a definite incentive to keeping the running going. I completed my second 10k in April and am signed up for my first half marathon at the end of this month. And I'm going to compete in the annual race in my home village of Aberdour this summer too.

I've also added to my tally of new places visited with a fabulous trip to Shetland at the end of March.

The blogging hasn't been so consistent. I did really well in January and ok in February, but March and April have seen a bit of a slump - caused by a bit of a slump of my own to be honest. Concerted effort for May is required. Although I'm still ahead of my 2010 performance at the moment.

The book hasn't been touched however, my inspiration has run a bit dry. So if any readers have suggestions for plot, character or what next - feel free...!

And me? Well, I'm still a work in progress. Good days and bad ones. Ups and downs. Discoveries and disappointments. Triumphs and disasters. Progress? I think the jury is still out on that one...

3 comments:

Just Frances said...

If it helps, I'm working on a new chapter for the book. Maybe it will inspire you for a follow-up chapter? (Expect it in, I don't know, a year or two at this rate!)

xx

Bex said...

Lol, damn that writer's block!

A new chapter would be great. Maybe I should try writing one with what's left of my bank holiday weekend?

Or maybe I'll just sit in the sun and read a book ...

Just Frances said...

Sit in the sun and read... I'm home with a sick kid (I doubt her level of illness) so will get a chance to work on a chapter a bit today hopefully.

(Oh yeah, and I LOVE seeing people using their solar-powered clothes dryers! They're awesome!)