Sunday 12 June 2011

Healthy? Wait!



As only the most infrequent readers will have missed, I'm in training this year. Not just training as in getting fit. No, training as in for a race. A marathon to be exact. One of my friends has commented that I'm rarely one to do things by half. Not just jogging for me, or a simple 10k. Oh no, I have to go for the big one and aim for a marathon just 18 months after starting running. It's probably just as well I'm a weak swimmer and can't stay upright on a bike or I'd probably have signed up for an iron man (woman!) triathlon as well.

So far the furtherest I've run is a half marathon. And at the moment I can't even imagine having the stamina to do the same again on top. At least not without proper training. So that's what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to get myself organised enough to get out running 3 times a week, including some interval training at the gym.

And do you know what? It's hell. Sure, I get a real sense of achievement notching up the miles. But I also get sore feet, knees, ankles and toes. And bizarrely, I'm also getting heather instead of lighter. Go figure!

Which is all a long way of saying, if you haven't already done so, go make a donation on my Just Giving page. I'm really not doing this for the good of my health. I'm doing it hopefully for the good of others.

And by the way, I'm not entirely to blame on the over-ambitious challenge front. It was all Frances' idea after all!

No comments: